Monday, January 5, 2009

Response to Student Editor Article

What do you think?

I think that the article really shouldn't have been written yet. By the looks of the article I read, I felt that it was not complete, because they didn't have enough information about the teacher who was supposedly texing some students innappropriately. The question is, "why is this teacher texting these kids in the first place?" She shouldn't even have these kids' numbers. I also think that these kids should know better than to text and have this teacher's number. In the end, I think the editor should wait until authorities have the real factual information, because then the readers of the story won't get the story mixed up and it could turn out to be a very good article.

As members of a journalism class yourself, what would you do if in the editors' shoes?

If I was the editor, like I said in the above response, I would wait until the whole story is all set and done before I begin to write the story, because then the readers won't have any conflict on the story itself.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely that the story shouldnt have been published yet without the complete information and that the editors should have known to wait so the story wouldnt get confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that it shouldn't have been printed until the case was closed and all the information was public. Printing the incomplete article could have actually hindered the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have gone in collaboration with another person who had the information I needed to print the article. It depends on how often they circulate their paper, but if the next paper wouldn't have come out for a long time, I would have printed the story (as complete as I could get it) otherwise the story would lose timliness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience is an important quality for a reporter, but difficult to deal with when you add deadlines and a career (you will want to get the story first). The frequency of circulation, as mentioned by Megan, is also an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fully agree with the getting off topic in the article. I got sort of lost when reading it, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was written interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete